On this page you will find all the important information about the Porto Card: What services does the City Card offer and for whom is it worthwhile? How long is it valid and where can you buy it?
You can get the City Card from our partner companies. We receive a small commission for the sale.
- Public transport in Porto free of charge
- Visit museums free of charge or with a discount
- 25% Discount on city tours
- Discounts for restaurants & shops
- Valid for 1, 2, 3 or 4 days
- Pick up your Porto Card in the city
- With the card you save money in Porto!
How the Porto Card works
The Porto Card is a product of Visit Porto, the tourism office of the Portuguese city. This City Card comes in two variants: with public transport or without public transport.
The comprehensive variant includes the following services:
- Free admission to 6 museums
- 50% Discount in 14 museums
- 25% Discount for Hop-on Hop-off Buses
- Free use of public transport in the city
- Discounts for shops, restaurants, theatres etc.
You can buy the card online and collect it when you arrive in Porto. The City Card is valid for 1, 2, 3 or 4 consecutive calendar days. During this time you can enjoy all the benefits of the Porto Card.
Who is the Porto Card suitable for?
The Porto Card is suitable for travellers who want to explore the city by public transport, visit museums and see one or two sights.
From our point of view, the Porto Card is more suitable for travellers who are coming to Porto for the second or third time or who are staying in the city for longer than one or two days. This is because the museums and sights included are not necessarily among the attractions one would visit immediately after arrival.
The card makes travelling easier because you don't have to worry about tickets for public transport. Moreover, the card is also financially worthwhile if you take advantage of some of the discounts offered.
How much does the Porto Card cost?
The price of the Porto Card incl. local transport depends on the period of validity.
- 1 day: 13,00 €
- 2 days: 20,00 €
- 3 days: 25,00 €
- 4 days: 33,00 €
This price applies to all persons aged 5 and over. Children up to 4 years do not need their own Porto Card. They use public transport free of charge.
The Porto Card without public transport costs from 6,00 € (Porto Card without public transport).
All Porto Card services
The Porto City Card gives you free entry to some museums. There are also discounts on many sights, tours and restaurants. Of course, public transport is also free.
You can find the current brochure with all services here: Porto Card 2023
- Casa do Infante
- Casa-Museu Guerra Junqueiro
- Casa-Museu Marta Ortigão Sampaio
- Museu Romântico
- Museu do Papel Moeda
- Museu do Vinho do Porto
Show your Porto Card at the museum ticket office and you will receive a free admission ticket. All museums are easily accessible by public transport.
Discounts with the Porto Card
In addition, the Porto City Card offers discounts for some museums, sights, tours and restaurants. A small selection of the discounts:
- Up to 25% discount for the Hop-on/Hop-off Bus
- 50% Discount on a wine cellar in Porto
- 50% Discount on many museums and monuments
- 25% Discount on Igreja e Torre dos Clérigos
- 30% Discount on SEA LIFE Porto
- 20% Discount on Boat Trip under the Bridges of Porto
- 10% Discount for FC Porto Museum and Stadium
- A total of approx. 150 reductions in the region Porto
You can find a complete list of all reductions here: Brochure for 2023. Unfortunately, the brochure is a bit confusing, so it's not easy to get an overview. But if you find some offers that interest you, the Porto Card is worthwhile.
You will also receive this brochure when you pick up your Porto Card in the city.
Public transport with Porto Card
With the Porto Card incl. local transport you can use the city's public transport. You receive a discount card and a public transport ticket (Andante Tour).
The Andante Tour Card allows the use of:
- Metro: all lines
- Comboio regional trains: in the city area
- Autocarro buses: all lines
Attention: The tram is not included with the Porto Card!
When you buy the Porto Card, you also receive the Andante Tour Card. This is activated as soon as you validate the card the first time you use public transport. For each journey, you must validate the card again when boarding.
The Andante Tour Card is available for one day (24 hours) and three days (72 hours). If you buy the Porto Card for two or four days, you will receive two Andante Tour Cards.
To the airport with the Porto Card
Metro line E connects Porto Airport with the city centre. The metro runs every 20 to 30 minutes. You do not need a separate ticket as you can use your Porto Card for the journey.
You will need to collect your Porto Card at the airport.
Is the Porto Card worth it?
The Porto Card incl. local transport is only worthwhile if you plan to use public transport several times a day. In addition, you should ideally visit at least one museum for free and take advantage of several discounted offers.
The Porto Card is especially worthwhile if you take advantage of high-quality discounts such as the hop-on/hop-off bus.
The following table shows how much you can save, using the 3-Day Card as an example:
|Attraction||Without Porto Card||With Porto Card|
|Porto Card 3 days||–||25,00 €|
|Public transport: 3 days||15,- €||Free of charge|
|Museu Romântico||4,- €||Free of charge|
|Igreja e Torre dos Clérigos||8,- €||6,- €|
|Yellow Bus: Hop-on/Hop-off||22,- €||16,50 €|
|SEA LIFE Porto||16,95 €||11,55 €|
|Total||65,95 €||59,05 €|
As you can see, a significant part of the purchase price goes towards the local transport ticket. In addition, you only have to use discounts worth 10 euros to make the Porto Card worthwhile.
However, most tourists who are only in Porto for one or two days visit attractions that are free anyway, such as the Ponte Dom Luis I, the Lello bookshop or the São Bento train station. So the Porto Card is more worthwhile for longer stays or repeated visits.
The more you use your City Card, the more it pays for itself!
Buy & Collect Porto Card
You can buy the Porto Card online, but you have to pick it up in the city or at the airport when you arrive. There are three pick-up points:
- Porto Welcome Center, Praça Almeida Garrett 27, at São Bento train station
- Porto Sé Tourist Office, Calçada Dom Pedro Pitões 15, opposite the Cathedral
- Oporto Airport - Tourist Shop, Level 0, in the public arrivals area
All pick-up points are open every day. Opening hours may vary depending on the season.
If your travel plans change, the purchase can be cancelled free of charge up to one day before the visit.
Advantages & Disadvantages
Advantages of the Porto Card
- You can visit some museums for free (but they are not very popular).
- You can use the metro, buses and some suburban trains within Porto free of charge. The card is also valid for travel from the airport to the city centre by metro.
- You don't have to worry about tickets.
- The value for money is good: the card pays for itself when you take advantage of attractive discounts.
Disadvantages of the Porto Card
- The card hardly grants free admission (only a few museums).
- There are more than 150 discounts, but the offer is confusing.
- The Porto Card is hardly suitable if you are only in town for one day.
- The card must be collected after your arrival in Porto.
More offers in Porto
There are many things to experience in Porto that are not included in the City Card or for which you only get a small discount. We present some of the most popular offers here:
- City tour by hop-on/hop-off bus
- SEA LIFE Porto
- Porto Cathedral
- Light show in the church of Clérigos
- FC Porto Museum & Dragāo Stadium
- Monet & Klimt in Porto
- Porto Legends: Underground Experience
Tip: With the Porto Pass from Tiqets.com you can visit several attractions at once: the cathedral, a fado show, a boat trip and a wine cellar.
FAQ about the Porto Card
How does the Porto Card work?
You buy the Porto Card online and collect it when you arrive in the city or at the airport. It allows you to visit certain museums for free for 1, 2, 3 or 4 consecutive calendar days and to choose from over 150 discounts. It also allows you to use public transport (metro, bus, suburban trains). There is also a Porto Card without public transport.
Can I use public transport with the Porto Card?
Yes, with the Porto Card you can use public transport within the city limits for free. This includes the metro, buses and some suburban trains. The tram is not included!
Is the airport transfer included in the Porto Card?
Yes, with the Porto Card you can use the metro on line E, which takes you to the city centre.
Can I cancel the Porto Card free of charge?
Yes, you can cancel your ticket free of charge up to 24 hours before departure.
How is the Porto Card activated?
The Porto Card is activated when you use the card at the first sight. At this time you need to enter the date and time on the card. After activation, the card is valid for 1, 2, 3 or 4 days.
The ticket included in the Porto Card (Andante Tour) is activated separately the first time you use public transport.